Maybe you want to build a deck in your backyard or perhaps you need to renew or restore a deck you already have. It is likely that you will have a lot of questions about the deck building process, including where to begin.
The following are some valuable deck building tips to keep in mind:
- Make sure you choose the appropriate materials and warranties for the length of time you plan on staying in the home.
- Determining which materials to use requires considering the short and long-term cost of future maintenance requirements.
- Decide what plants and furniture you might want on the deck before you build it.
- If you plan to build a sunroom or porch on top of your deck, ensure a strong foundation.
- Make the most of existing trees by integrating a deck around them to provide shade or to extend their life.
- Consider how to conceal support beams and keep the deck feeling as open as possible.
- Remove railings if they aren’t necessary or required by code.
- Build outdoor accessories that would otherwise be more expensive to build in the future, such as pergolas, lights, benches, and an under deck system.
- You may want to consider adding a sound system, ambient lighting, or any other luxuries to make it a more relaxing place to hang out.
- You can build a paver patio wherever there is not enough clearance for a deck. Also, pavers are easier to maintain and do not require any building permits.